18.4.06

Back in that Internet Cafe,

smoking a Lucky Strike and very bothered at the fact that the 'y' and 'z' keys are switched on a German keyboard - don't even ask about the misc. symbols one uses...

So, the fisrt day of art school in Germany consisted os me running around the building with no teacher, (she is in Dresden,) and no idea where to by supplies. This is okay though. There are no real classes and I asked around about art materials. I am getting used to letting go of all the things that normally would send me into a panic. I can't panic here - there is room for mistakes and everyone is so helpful. I feel so good about this experience already. theKiller was right, I am sad to see August come - and it feels as if it is approaching too quickly already.

My German is getting much much better. Hanging out with my new friend here helps. He corrects me when I am wrong and compliments my efforts. :)

I am lucky. I am a very lucky girl right now.

The highlight of my day was almost bumping into a man at the Kaufhof, (a large shopping complex in Alexanderplatz about ten minutes from my apartment.) I say, 'Entschuldigung,' (Sorry.) He looks at me in and a soft German voice says, 'Nichts passiert...' (Nothing has happened...) He smiles, says something else I couldn't hear, (probably a good thing,) and I smile and keep walking.

Now, he probably is not someone I would ever want to see again, and that is okay. What made me happy was the way he said it and how comforting that he thought nothing but that I was attractive and went on his way. America, you probably think this is silly and that is okay but in that moment I felt truly human.

No comments: