6.1.07

Ah High School!

It is the greatest motivator of B horror films. Some of my fellow arty outcasts and nerds from AV club gathered their talents and created Tamera, a 2005 horror flick about an 'ugly' nerdy chick who's interest in witchcraft helps her come back from the dead after a prank in a remote hotel room goes wrong. This is every girls dream. To show up one morning, (hopefully not after coming back from the dead,) to blow everyone out of the water with "bangin'" looks and a smart comment for the mean assholes... and yet:
Some annoying clichés that need attention:

All popular people listen to shitty hip-hop and have no real taste in music.

I would like to think that even a real asshole likes something beyond generic one hit wonder hip-hop tracks. I won't go so far as to say they are Mozart scholars, but maybe a little Radiohead or something...

All sports related activities in high school breed asshole bullies.
Everyone has met a prick that became full of himself through other means - not just from being great at sports.

Virgins are nice. Popular girls are sluts.

I've found that it is possible to be quite the opposite. Virgins can be quite cranky for obvious reasons. To be popular I think can also mean that you've never gotten any. Look at the movie Saved! Many Moore and her crew made it quite obvious that they were saving themselves and they were the pissiest chicks in that movie.

English teachers are hot and sensitive.

In the second grade the teaching assistant in my class was hit on by all the single moms. His name rhymed with handsome which wasn't lost on these women. Being only six I wasn't old enough to appreciate this. When I grew older I've never had a hot teacher. Ever. I feel ripped off.

The whole, 'she was ugly - now check out that bod trick,' is getting old.

It would be nice to have a normal looking girl remain normal looking. Not severely ugly to smokin' hot. Not super unfortunate to the pinnacle of success. Just normal... to normal. I can see the benefit symbolically, yet I can't appreciate the underlying message of hotness equals acceptance. It feels good in theory but it's actually quite lame...

2 comments:

Wyndham said...

You forget the dweeb sidekick! Heathers is a genius movie, though - although probably a bit before your time!

june said...

ugh! what's your damage?! you're right that is a good one. :)