20.12.06

I Hate New York City.

I gave it a chance. I've been twice, no three times!

Summer 2003: My graduation present was a one week trip with my family. The first day I saw a homeless man
defecate in the subway. I asked myself, 'Welcome to New York?' By the end of the week I just wanted to get out of there - I was choking on the city.

Summer 2004: Probably the most fun I had in the city. I stayed with my then roommate and former friend for a week and liked it alright - I gave it a real chance and I believe looking back it was fun because of the people I got to spend it with not because I did anything spectacular.

Winter 2006: JFK airport. People crowd the terminal like clothed animals grunting and growling - clawing and groping through security and then on to the different terminals. Everyone puts so much effort into connecting with others via their cell phones and ipods that they cannot conceive of giving a shit about anyone around them. Chatting with someone, asking questions, cracking a polite joke - all seen as trivial and dumb to the high and mighty NYers.

I never want to ever even have another layover in that God forsaken land. it just proves that when people are squeezed into a space that has them breathing down each other's necks ... I don't know, it's Lord of the Flies or something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

New York's all right if you like saxophones.

Anonymous said...

As a New Yorker, I can honestly say I get nervous when random people smile at me/attempt to make conversation with me. To me, that type of thing isn't "friendly"- it's creepy and makes me think the other person's a stalker. That doesn't mean I'm going to spit at someone on the sidewalk. I think that's where non-New Yorkers get it twisted. We're not hostile people, we just want to be in our boxes. Is that so wrong?

june said...

I'm not saying anyone is wrong here. I'm simply expressing my dismay that what New Yorkers see a blunted affect as normal or integral behavior and criticize or are confused by anything else.

To be threatened by a smile?!

What is worse is the request for others to sympathize with this distrustful, loner like behavior - especially since humans require a certain amount of contact to remain sane. The argument here I believe would be, 'Well, it isn't like New Yorkers don't have friends, we choose who we wish to be around,' and my response would be, 'This is understandable. And yet there is nothing nicer to have someone acknowledge your existence because you are there and they are there and it's just damn beautiful outside. So here is a nod to you without any other kind of social obligation or weird stalker intention and maybe I will just throw in a Good Morning!'

Now if you're happy being lost inside your iPod whilst pounding across the pavement and think it odd to connect with strangers on the smallest of levels then it is your choice to remain in the 'cultural Mecca of America' but this is one girl who simply will not understand you.